MELVIN R. MANNING, MD
- Spinal Disorders, Texas Sports Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Fellow, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Interventional Spine, Back Pain Specialist
About Dr. Manning
Dr. Manning has devoted his career towards serving the special needs of athletes’ back pain. Using the strategies of physical medicine and rehabilitation, he combines special skills necessary to diagnose, treat and rehabilitate injuries with/without surgery. Dr. Manning has developed a particular interest in strength, endurance and balance training which are used to reduce injury risk. In addition to delivering comprehensive sports care, Dr. Manning also provides care for patients who require interventional spine procedures. He has extensive experience in cervical, thoracic, lumbar epidural and facet block procedures. He has additional training in Intradiscal Electrothermal procedures and Nucleoplasty (IDET: Click here for more info and NUCLEOPLASTY: Click here for more info). His spine interventional practice is devoted to the athlete who wishes to return to function in a quick and safe manner.
Dr. Manning has worked in both private and academic settings and understands how to deliver sports care in today’s market with an emphasis on quality professional care. He has experience in providing sports medicine care to world class and elite athletes. Dr. Manning was an assistant team physician with the Dallas Mavericks from 2002-2015 and was the assistant team physician for the Dallas Mavericks from 2002-2015 and member of the NBA Team Physicians Association.. He formerly served as the team physician for FC Dallas, previously known as Dallas Burn. Dr. Manning is also a physical medicine and rehab consultant for Southern Methodist University Student Health Service. So whether you are a weekend warrior, high school, college or professional athlete. Dr Manning’s expertise will help you get back in the game! Dr. Melvin Manning has provided expert sports medicine advice and opinions to a variety of media. Television interview subjects with ABC, NBC and Fox have included steroid use in sports and compression shorts in professional basketball players. He has been a guest speaker with ESPN radio and is a consultant for a number of sports medicine journalists.
Dr. Melvin Manning is passionate in his efforts of assisting patients with the natural healing aids of regenerative medicine. Nonsurgical treatments of stem cell and PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections have successfully improved quality of life in the setting of chronic neck and low back pain. There are specific upper-lower extremity tendon and joint injuries which also benefit from above described conservative approach. Dr. Manning’ athletes have used orthobiologic care to improve activities of daily living and performance.
Dr. Manning is a four time Ironman triathlon (www.ironman.com) finisher (Florida, Lake Placid, Brazil, Arizona). He has also qualified and competed in Boston marathon. He clearly understands the physical and mental demands of training and competing. His passion for sports, fitness and nutrition ultimately provides patients with advice and plan of action toward an active/healthy lifestyle. Click here for training products information. Dr. Manning and Texas Sports Medicine support local triathlon groups including DALLAS ATHLETES (www.dallasathletes.com) and PLAY TRI (www.playtri.com).
- University of California at San Diego (UCSD)
- Internship: Kaiser Permanente Hospital, San Francisco, CA
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
- Fellowship: Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine, New Orleans, LA
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Dallas County Medical Society
- International Spinal Injection Society
- North American Spine Society
- Physiatric Association of Spine, Sports and Occupational Rehabilitation
- Professional Team Physicians Association
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who Texas Medical Association
- Theraband Research Advisory Committee
- Theraband Research Advisory Committee